Sunday, May 3, 2009

Rerun #1 - The Scream

This was originally posted on my Teacups and Time blog last summer. I hope you enjoy.



It was awful. It was horrifying. It was terrifying. IT WAS RIDICULOUS! Eleven women alone in a beautiful log cabin in the woods of West Virginia. Eleven strong, Godly women…okay, maybe ten strong, Godly women and one “Chicken Little” thrown in for a good laugh!

I am always happy to give joy to someone.

So, here we are all tucked into our beds for the night. Eleven rhythmic breathing women, enjoying a rest in the midst of a busy retreat – then it happens.

The SCREAM!

What is a girl to do!

Two of us were in the great room – everyone else tucked safely behind doors. As my heart was racing, was it a dream? Did anyone else hear it? Where did that blood curdling shriek come from? My roommate was also startled awake…so I knew that I didn’t imagine "the SCREAM".

However, no one else moved. No doors were opened…no one checking to see if anyone else was awake or okay.

What was going on?

Jenn, my roomie, wisely whispers, “Why is no one else moving or awake?”

"I don’t know. Where did it come from?" I whisper back.

We determine it must have been downstairs and Jenn bravely offered to check it out.

As a side note, Jenn was in the military. I wasn’t. At least, she had some training. She's "The Brave One." So, off she went down the stairs with me trailing, not-so-bravely behind her. Then she stops on the landing before turning the final corner into the basement. She looks back at me and in the bravest whisper I have ever heard she says, “If I scream – RUN!”

On that note, I stepped back 2 or 3 steps to prepare my get away! She rounds the corner….nothing, no screams. So, I creep ever slowly after her. The doors and windows are locked. The two girls in the bedroom downstairs – sleeping! Everything looks normal and safe. So, we tiptoe back upstairs and into our prospective sleeping spots.

Our eyes were closed but our ears were working overtime!

Would you believe that, as if on cue, it starts to storm! It was right out of a horror film. Large windows that were casting eerie shadows as the lightning lit up the dark sky. Two girls, still wondering why no one else heard “the SCREAM." One girl, rewinding every horror movie she ever saw as a teenager.

WAIT, what was that?!

Quietly, the floors were creaking above us, as if someone was trying to softly maneuver around. It was dark and we couldn’t see into the loft. We did know that we didn’t hear any doors open.

What is a girl to do! Why, go get reinforcements, of course!

So, the “brave one” and the “not-so-brave one” jump out of their prospective sleeping spots and slowly walk up the staircase. The creaking and shuffling continue. We slowly, ever SLOWLY creep up the steps – “brave one” first. (Remember, I had to leave a few steps in between us in case she screams and I need to run.) The “brave one” is nearing the top of the stairs, she musters one last look my way and then turns the corner…she screams, “Oh no, it’s Isunji!” With the “Oh”, I had already ran back 3 steps and with the “it’s Isunji” I ran to the top where the three of us were laughing hysterically.

Okay, maybe only two of us were laughing, Isunji was still recovering from the fright of hearing someone creeping up the stairs toward her. Then a few more ladies woke up. Apparently, nervous laughter can be rather loud at 2am.

We found out that “the SCREAM” was a friend having a nightmare.

We also found out that this log cabin isn’t insulated between floors but it is between walls. So they all knew who had the nightmare; that she prayed with her roommate and that she was now sleeping soundly.


Top 5 Lessons I learned…
  1. Don’t watch horror films – they stay with you longer than the popcorn you ate while watching them.
  2. Always have a “brave friend”.
  3. It is always good when a friend “has your back” (even if it is a few steps away).
  4. It is good to have a friend to run to for help (even if she has no idea you are coming).
  5. Remind yourself where your confidence belongs…

“The Lord is for me, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?” Psalm 118:6

Affectionately,

“The Not-So-Brave One” – AKA Chicken Little!

PS: The names have not been changed to protect the "innocent"!

8 comments:

  1. This is a hoot! I would have been two or three steps behind YOU! LOL

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Please stop by again, anytime!

    Blessings,
    Beth :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful new beginnings for you with your blogging!

    Lovingly,
    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! You tell it well. I also like your list of things you learned. To this day, I seriously regret being a horror movie junkie (before knowing Christ). It truly hasn't all left me- though I pray that one day it will completely! Yes, our confidence is in the Lord. And of course, I will follow you here on your new blog. I am sorry about what happened with your other blog, but I believe God will somehow redeem your efforts and understandable frustrations! And, I look forward to what you write here! Love and blessings! (I do love the new name!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, staying with me longer than popcorn is a mighty long time...I have the effects of lots of popcorn!! thanks for the laugh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise,This is cute.I needed this.Thank-u for all your prayers and words of encouragement.I am trying to hang in there the best I can.I think the not knowing is the worst!Have a great day!Blessings, Faye

    ReplyDelete
  6. sending some friends your way today...

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this was too funny! I'm with you....honey I would have been a few steps back and ready to run too! What a great story and a fun memory ta boot. Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete