Wednesday, July 1, 2009


Best laid plans – shot.

Here I sit in one of my least favorite places, the car service center waiting for the inevitable gasp that follows the “ma’am we have good news and bad news.” I was ready this time with laptop in tow to steal away, just my computer and me. A much felt yearning of late, this want of computer time, for I have missed you all dearly. But alas, it was not to be. One simple button pushed left me staring the stark reality of a BOOT ERROR. With that somber note, my plans were changed.

No computer just a trusty old legal pad and pen.

Simple
Plain

Not what I wanted but probably what I need.

Straightforward
Unembellished
Ordinary

There is more of me in the meeting of ink to paper than can be found in the pressing of a key. The flair of the marks has a voice of its own. Unlike the homogeneous and the anonymous print of New Times Roman, volumes are spoken in my loops and lines. It is me, all me.

It is art of a voice painted on paper.

I hear its whisper calling me back to the paper, the pen and the heart of who I am.

Simple
Plain
Ordinary

So, I begin now.


This was written this morning as I waited for the “good new/bad news”. Funny, this time I just got the “bad news”. Did I say this is one of my least favorite places to be!

Yet, there is good news. I am going to begin journaling again.

11 comments:

  1. My sweet Denise, I enjoyed your post! Hope you have a great weekend! Blessings, Faye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes getting back to basics is just what our heart needs.
    Blessings ~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Have you been following Ann Voskamp's series on journaling, over at Holy Experience? If not, you must, must, must! She blesses so, as do you. Journaling, a journey to self-discovery...God discovery. Can't wait to hear about the fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Journaling...such richness found on the pages.

    Lovingly,
    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautifully written and shared. It's awesome how God will turn what may be a difficult place into an opportunity of discovery...hence you are returning to journaling.

    Praise the Lord dear sister. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What was one appointment turned into yet another: destiny. It's incredible how the Lord meets us in the most mundane (and costly) places only to reveal such powerful, simple truths.

    Be blessed,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denise,

    I love this. And I can relate so much. This past weekend, I was camping at a nearby lake, and I wanted to write even though I was away from the keyboard. Rarely, di I sit down and write something longhand (except for my prayer/spiritual journal).

    So longhand, I wrote a post about worshipping with some folks in Minnesota. (And had to type it in later, of course). It was a challenge for me, but it was worth it.

    This was a beautiful post, Denise.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making the most of your moments, despite the bad news. You're right; our handwriting "pens" a story all its own.

    We've burden our lives with "times new roman" haven't we?

    peace~elaine
    PS: Hope the good news outweighed the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry you got bad news at the car service center. I always dread having to go there, myself.

    I'm sorry about your computer, too. However, I love this post! You are such a gifted writer.

    You mentioned in your comment to me where you live. My sister and her family live in the Richmond area. When hubby and I were first married, we lived in the Richmond area, too...when the opportunity finally came for us to move back to the mountains, you should've seen how quickly we jumped at that chance! :-)

    Praying you will have a blessed holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, pen and paper. The only writing medium that never lets you down and can always be booted up. Beautiful, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Denise your words move me. I might just turn to my own journal again.

    As for the bad news, it is good news to Him, a chance to remould you at His potters wheel.

    ReplyDelete