Wednesday, October 5, 2011

When you don't think you have enough...


Do you ever have those moments when a message keeps coming at you from many different places? 

This past week has been that for me.  Like a bouquet of the same flower that I am gathering one bloom at a time or maybe I should say one fish and loaf at a time.

In John 6:1-13 we have the familiar story of Jesus feeding the five thousand.  Like you, I have read this story many times.   I thought I knew it. 

That is what I get for thinking!

When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, "Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?"  He asked this only to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do.  Philip answered him, "Eight months wages would not buy enough bread for each one to have a bite!"    
John 6:5-7  NIV (emphasis mine)

Philip witnessed Jesus perform miracles prior to this question.  Yet, he didn't respond with the anticipation of what Christ would do but rather with the limitation of what Philip could not do.  He could not buy enough bread. 

Major fail, Philip.

So here it is...

I have the propensity to respond just like Philip.  I measure the task in front of me by based not on what God can do but rather what I cannot. 

In my eyes, the obstacle is daunting.  In God's eyes, it is minutia.

In a sermon this weekend, I heard "It is too easy to allow the magnitude of a task keep you from doing it."  If Philip was right, those people would still be hungry.   And yet, they ate all that they had wanted and even had leftovers!

I have thought too many times like Philip. 

I have evaluated the circumstance in light of what I have - what I can do - what my abilities are.  I have given up and given in too easily because truth be told, I will never have enough.

But God...

He knows what He is going to do.  He doesn't need us but He does want us.  He has placed us where we are at this very moment.  All we need to do is offer what we have and trust that He will transform it.

It wasn't Philip's job to feed the 5000.  It was his responsibility to offer what he had and believe Christ to transform it. 
When I don't have enough words to write...
I need to offer what I have and allow Him to transform it.
When I don't have the strength to complete the task...
I need to offer what I have and allow Him to transform it
When I don't have the courage to step out...
 I need to offer what I have and allow Him to transform it.
When I don't have the faith to believe...
 I need to offer what I have and allow Him to transform it.

I will never have enough.

He always will.



© A Sacred Longing 2009-2011

3 comments:

  1. "He always will" indeed. Thank you for sharing this message Denise.

    Haven't visited in a while and you came across my heart so I popped in on you to say a prayer for you...

    Blessings and love!

    ReplyDelete