Monday, January 24, 2011

Letting go...

There are things that I just hold too tightly.

Some I think I should clench securely.

Most things in truth,  I shouldn’t.

But I am good – real good - at holding on.

Like the proverbial dog with a bone I grasp tighter, growl louder and run away as fast as I can. Never once do I drop the bone.

Until now…

As I welcome 2011, I have come to an understanding that this year will be a year of RELEASE for me.

A 365 day beginning of a journey towards letting go…

Releasing the things I shouldn’t grasp so tightly – good and bad.

The accumulations of days and experiences last year have brought me here. 2010 was a year of awakening for me. I began to see far beyond the margins of my little world. Yet within its gathering, I realized that what lies beyond is not that far at all. Through Haiti, Guatemala and even here in my own backyard I have had the gift of unwrapping the unfamiliar to expose what I most want – GOD.

It is a realization that leaves me broken in so many ways and yet, like the grand mosaics that grace cathedrals, my broken becomes beautiful.

I have to let go of what I thought was mine.

I have to let go of what I dreamed was to be mine.

I have to let go of what I have grasped so tightly.

I have to untie the things that bind me.

I have to expose the hurt that hides within me and bid it farewell.

I have break up the root of bitterness that has found its place within me and place it aside.

I have to unleash the love, the grace and the mercy that God so abundantly pours out upon me into the lives I come to encounter.

I fear it will not be an easy task – this releasing.

But God…

Pry open my fingers, my heart, my mind and my soul. May I grasp nothing but what You desire for me. May I hold things tangible or not only as tightly as You allow.   May I release them as quickly as You bid me.  In the letting go may I find the only thing worth grasping...You!



© A Sacred Longing 2009-2010

10 comments:

  1. Amen, I agree with your prayer for you but also for me! As you release all the things you are to let go, may He flood you with His presence and Himself to fill the void. That way you will never miss a thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post...

    It reminded me of a "letting go" I experienced a few years ago. When letting go made the chains of bondage drop to the ground. I have many things I still need to "let go". Thank you for reminding me of the healing He provided my broken heart so many years ago... and that letting go can be the best thing I ever do!

    God bless you sweet one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joining you with the "letting go." I've had some rich lessons along these lines in recent months. I don't know what more will be required of me; I don't "go there" in my mind very often. I just pray that whatever might come, God gives me the strength and peace to walk it through to victory.

    Love you sister. So good to hear from you. I'm glad you're here, still writing your heart for us.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I love the words you have written here, Denise.

    So honest, and they are words that I find in my own heart as well. I echo your desire, and your prayer.

    Praying with you as you journey on...

    2011 will surely be your best year so far!

    Love
    Lidj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and so true. I'm right with you. Letting go. Surrendering to the ONE who has us in His righteous right hand.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Denise:

    This is such a good perspective. I am always working at grabbing hold more tightly of all that He is... when in reality, the letting go of some of what I am is probably a more accurate description of the whole process. Either way, God is at work in each of us, and He will make clear what needs to be done and give grace to do it.

    I really enjoyed this today!

    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmm... "release" is such a challenging but freeing word... hope you are feeling Him catch you as you release...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice blog...sweet and simple. Letting go is always a big challenge and I think we'll all be working on it the rest of our lives!

    ReplyDelete