Wednesday, February 22, 2012

An Eternal Release


Outside the window, the snow falls gently and the wind is howling cold.  Inside this room, we sit in vigil watching for the final breath.  Not wanting it to come yet at the same time begging it to hurry.

I am learning that life gives us many choices but death gives us very few.  We can't pick the day, the hour, or the way.  It comes when it is time - not a moment before or a minute after. 

Rarely do we seek its presence.  Still and yet, when its eerie silence echoes near we seem to grasp the patience we otherwise would seldom hold. 

So today we wait in expectation - seeking to be witness to the most precious of moments - a "thin place" where the heaven and earth join together.  Where a life ends here and a spirit finds eternal release. 



Dearest of friends, I wrote this 9 days ago - an eternity of emotions - and yet only 9 days.  On February 13, 2012 my mother passed from this world into the wholeness and grace that is found in the arms of our Savior.  No matter how old I am ... I will always be her baby. 

I love you now and forever, Mom. 


© A Sacred Longing 2009-2012

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Denise. I am so sorry. Bless you as you grieve. Sending so much love.

    ReplyDelete